~photoblog of a WNY zone 6 gardener

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My Wisteria and Other blooms from May

I haven't posted about anything blooming in the garden for some time now though I've taken a lot of pics! Life as usual has been way too busy. As my GardenWeb gardening friend, Gottagarden, said recently, "What are people thinking holding family events during prime gardening season?" : )
So the garden has really come alive and lots of plants have been blooming. My wisteria which I've been training in to a standard was covered in blossoms this year. It has been amazing.
Photobucket
The pics though I don't think do it justice. Of course the barren ground around it somehow detracts from it. I have only myself to blame though, I taught my dog, Sammie, to run around it as a game and now that she has her young companion, Charlie, to play with, they have trashed the yard.

Photobucket


I've read that wisteria floribunda doesn't have much of a scent, but I have to disagree. The scent on mine is quite noticable. Here's a close up with my hand.
Wisteria

The shrub to the back left of the wisteria is Viburnum Carlcephalum. The scent of that shrub is amazing like some wonderful vanilla laced baked good just absolutely yummy. The large bloom clusters start off as pink buds and open to white flowers.
Vibrunum Carlcephalum

Behind the vegetable garden fence, my tree peony has bloomed. The blooms are huge! In an earlier post, I wrote of how people complain and exaggerate about the briefness of lilac bloom. Well, tree peony bloom time is short! It only lasts a week or so. It is a glorious week of bloom, but yes, it only a week. I'm not exaggerating. Thankfully, the leaves are very attractive so its brief bloom is tolerated. Also I have it placed in the vegetable garden so it blooms while the garden in there is bare.
Tree Peony

Ok, one last photo for the night. The alliums have been blooming and I've grown to love them. I received my first alliums a few years ago in trade. I never planted any previous to that time since the photos really didn't do that much for me. Some plants just look better in person. I'm glad that trader sent me a few bulbs to try. I was missing out on a very neat looking group of plants.
Photobucket

4 comments:

Jimmy said...

Hey Remy,
That photo of the allium in fabulous. I always love looking at your blog.

Remy said...

Jim,
Thanks so much!
I didn't know you started a blog until I checked your name. That's great. You have wonderful garden for someone who used to be a city guy : )

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

Beautiful. Why do people try to interrupt our time in the garden with these "events"? Don't they know the first bloom only happens once, although every plant is special?

Remy said...

Tom,
Thanks! It is so true. You've got a lot of first blooms happening down your way. I hope you are enjoying them all!

Favorite Garden Blogs

Favorite Tomatoes

  • Humph - Green
  • Stump of the World - Pink, my absolute favorite
  • Little Lucky - Small Yellow Bicolor
  • Prudens Purple - meaty Pink
  • Carbon - Black

Followers

About Me

My photo
Plantaholic, from annuals to perennials, from tomatoes to roses. You name it; I love it! I often get very busy with my business and life and don't post as often as I would like.