~photoblog of a WNY zone 6 gardener
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
One of the tables full of tomatoes to taste
Me donning the over the top tomato apron that I found last winter.
The party was a great success as usual. We had quite the turnout, and it definitely was an eat, drink, and be merry kind of day.
Some of the attendees
The winners are as follows:
Sweetest~ Snow White grown by Mark Korney
Prettiest~ Sparks Yellow grown by Julianna G. aka Sorellina
Ugliest~ a big unknown lumpy pink tomato grown by Toby Rotella. We had a late arrival of one that was butt ugly and looked like a giant curled up horn worm that garnered a few votes and probably would have won if they arrived earlier so Toby kept his certificate, but graciously gave his bag of TomatoTone to Tauna the grown of "Hornworm"
Tangiest~ Guernsey Island grown by me. I finally won something
Smallest~ Matt's Wild Cherry grown by Mark Korney
Largest~ We didn't get any monster ones this year and Rob K. couldn't make it so I didn't give out an award. I personally did have a 15.8oz. Romeo paste tomato.
Best of All was a tie! the prize was given to Henderson's Winsall grown by Julianna G. The other vote getter was Humph grown by me.
Norm Brown Award(Craziest Tomato Lover) was given to Pomona for traveling the farthest to come. She came from Pittsburg. (We did have representatives from SC and CA there, but they were already in town.)
We as usual had lots of yummy food.
This avocado, tomato, and corn "salsa" was quite yummy.
And people won great raffle prizes.
I'm already looking forward to next year!
To see all the pics, CLICK HERE.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Daylily 'Beautiful Edgings'
Things in life get crazy sometimes, and some things get pushed to the back like this blog. My business has taken off which of course leads to less free time. I also had a few deaths and illnesses of close family and friends last year. Which of course can put you in a funk and leave you with even less free time. But life is good. My house is a mess, but life is good : )
So what made me finally post? Thoughts of vacation. I'm taking my annual trek to the Florida Keys tomorrow. I posted a few times about vacation last year. I hope to do so again. I also hope to get more pics on here afterwards too.
We'll see where things go...
Favorite Garden Related Sites
- THE SAMPLE SEED SHOP
- Missouri PLANT ID Site - best wild plant ID site
- THE SEED SITE - great for IDing seeds
- ROB'S PLANTS
- PAGHAT'S GARDEN
- ROBIN'S SALVIAS - great photo galleries
- TOMATOVILLE - forums for tomato lovers
- SELECTED PLANTS- Tomato site with lots of great growing info
- Betsy Knapp Hypertufa - my friend who makes planters
- MY GardenWeb Page
- Cyndi Johnson's Catalog List - extensive garden catalog listings
Favorite Garden Blogs
Garden Nurseries and Centers in the WNY Area
- Adams Nurseries, Sheridan, Tonawanda, and Rt 33, Lancaster
- Earsings, Clinton, West Seneca
- Faery's Nursery, Ridge Rd., Ransomville
- Frank's Veggie Stand and Niagara Aquarium at Miltary and Woodward, Tonawanda
- Lavocat's Nursery, Heroy Rd., Clarence Center
- Lockwood's Greenhouses, Clark St., Hamburg
- Masterson's, Olean Rd., East Aurora
- Menne Nursery, N.F. Blvd., Amherst
- Mike Weber Greenhouses, French Rd, West Seneca
- Mischler's Florist(sells garden plants,) S. Forest, Williamsville e
- Russell's Tree & Shrub Farm, Transit, East Amherst
- Smith's Greenhouse, Wrights Corners
- Stedmann's Nursery, Rt. 78, Newfane
- Treichler's, Saunder Settlement, Sanborn
- Ulbrich's, Broadway, Alden
- Urban Roots, Rhode Island, Buffalo
- Zehrs on the Lake, Rt 18, Burt, NY