~photoblog of a WNY zone 6 gardener
Saturday, May 23, 2009
An Amazing Crabapple Tree!
When attending the Lilac Festival, there was an amazing tree in bloom. It was Malus 'Brandywine'. The likes of which I've never seen. It was covered in blooms. The semi-double blooms looked like roses which of course makes sense since they are very distant cousins.
I like crabapple trees in the spring. They go well with lilacs. This is the first time though that I saw one and had to investigate just what tree it was. It is simply lovely!
My friend Hilde posing with 'Brandywine'
I almost forgot to mention the blooms smell good! The scent is like a high quality floral soap if that makes any sense, lol.
- ▼ 2009 (32)
Favorite Garden Related Sites
- THE SAMPLE SEED SHOP
- Missouri PLANT ID Site - best wild plant ID site
- THE SEED SITE - great for IDing seeds
- ROB'S PLANTS
- PAGHAT'S GARDEN
- ROBIN'S SALVIAS - great photo galleries
- TOMATOVILLE - forums for tomato lovers
- SELECTED PLANTS- Tomato site with lots of great growing info
- Betsy Knapp Hypertufa - my friend who makes planters
- MY GardenWeb Page
- Cyndi Johnson's Catalog List - extensive garden catalog listings
Favorite Garden Blogs
Garden Nurseries and Centers in the WNY Area
- Adams Nurseries, Sheridan, Tonawanda, and Rt 33, Lancaster
- Earsings, Clinton, West Seneca
- Faery's Nursery, Ridge Rd., Ransomville
- Frank's Veggie Stand and Niagara Aquarium at Miltary and Woodward, Tonawanda
- Lavocat's Nursery, Heroy Rd., Clarence Center
- Lockwood's Greenhouses, Clark St., Hamburg
- Masterson's, Olean Rd., East Aurora
- Menne Nursery, N.F. Blvd., Amherst
- Mike Weber Greenhouses, French Rd, West Seneca
- Mischler's Florist(sells garden plants,) S. Forest, Williamsville e
- Russell's Tree & Shrub Farm, Transit, East Amherst
- Smith's Greenhouse, Wrights Corners
- Stedmann's Nursery, Rt. 78, Newfane
- Treichler's, Saunder Settlement, Sanborn
- Ulbrich's, Broadway, Alden
- Urban Roots, Rhode Island, Buffalo
- Zehrs on the Lake, Rt 18, Burt, NY