~photoblog of a WNY zone 6 gardener
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Friday, November 28, 2008
Dr. Huey that came with the house
It is Black Friday. I will never get up early to shop with a bunch of people who most likely make me want to start swearing like a merchant marine. I would rather spend more money than endure that.
Driving around today, I was stopped on the Blvd. where all the old motels are. Remnants of rose petals hung to the stems. I thought of my roses at home with buds that never developed into blooms before the killing freeze.
I planted quite a few roses this fall. I haven't added new ones in quite some time. I had run out of space, but a new deck this summer put ideas of new flower beds in motion. I decided to expand and lose some more grass. I'm not a big fan of grass.
I'll be showing a lot of photos of roses and other flowers hopefully on this blog.
Long John Silver
Thursday, November 27, 2008
This is the first post. It really is about nothing. I just want to get started I'm hoping by spring I've gotten the hang of this.
The cold has come early this year. There are many bulbs still sitting in the garage waiting for a break in the freezing weather.
I'm working on a sending seeds to huge seeds swap, and I've volunteered to host another in January. It keeps me busy during the winter.
Please check out my Gardenweb exchange page in the links if you are interested in seed trading.
Wintersowing is also a great thing to help pass the time. Spring comes with much anticipation.
Favorite Garden Related Sites
- THE SAMPLE SEED SHOP
- Missouri PLANT ID Site - best wild plant ID site
- THE SEED SITE - great for IDing seeds
- ROB'S PLANTS
- PAGHAT'S GARDEN
- ROBIN'S SALVIAS - great photo galleries
- TOMATOVILLE - forums for tomato lovers
- SELECTED PLANTS- Tomato site with lots of great growing info
- Betsy Knapp Hypertufa - my friend who makes planters
- MY GardenWeb Page
- Cyndi Johnson's Catalog List - extensive garden catalog listings
Favorite Garden Blogs
Garden Nurseries and Centers in the WNY Area
- Adams Nurseries, Sheridan, Tonawanda, and Rt 33, Lancaster
- Earsings, Clinton, West Seneca
- Faery's Nursery, Ridge Rd., Ransomville
- Frank's Veggie Stand and Niagara Aquarium at Miltary and Woodward, Tonawanda
- Lavocat's Nursery, Heroy Rd., Clarence Center
- Lockwood's Greenhouses, Clark St., Hamburg
- Masterson's, Olean Rd., East Aurora
- Menne Nursery, N.F. Blvd., Amherst
- Mike Weber Greenhouses, French Rd, West Seneca
- Mischler's Florist(sells garden plants,) S. Forest, Williamsville e
- Russell's Tree & Shrub Farm, Transit, East Amherst
- Smith's Greenhouse, Wrights Corners
- Stedmann's Nursery, Rt. 78, Newfane
- Treichler's, Saunder Settlement, Sanborn
- Ulbrich's, Broadway, Alden
- Urban Roots, Rhode Island, Buffalo
- Zehrs on the Lake, Rt 18, Burt, NY