~photoblog of a WNY zone 6 gardener

Monday, January 19, 2009

Buffalo Botanical Gardens

Photobucket

The Buffalo Botanical Gardens are a great place to visit any time of year. When this pic was taken of course the outdoor gardens could be explored, but going inside the glass houses during winter is wonderful. One can spend a better part of a day just slowly strolling through and taking in all the plants.
Photobucket

There are always events happening at the Gardens and even if there are no events. You can always find some really cool plants in bloom.
Photobucket

Even plants not blooming can be quite interesting.
Photobucket

I'm a volunteer with the Ivy group. The Gardens have one of the largest if not the largest collection of ivies in the USA.
Photobucket

I love the orchids. They look so good, so easy. I know this isn't true! I can't keep them alive at home. Well, I am house plant challenged to begin with. Plants that survive winter with me are awful tough.
Photobucket

I'm much better with these types : )
Photobucket


I've only skimmed the surface of all the amazing plants the Gardens hold! It is a definite must see for any plant lover.
http://www.buffalogardens.com/
(I figured out how to put in a link!)
A very well know place to eat close by is Curly's
http://www.curlysgrill.com/
(look another link!)
Oh and how could I forget to mention the Basillica. Our Lady of Victory Basillica is very close to the Gardens. It is an amazing church. Father Baker http://www.buffalodiocese.org/frbaker/index.htm (and another!) who has been up for sainthood for a long time started this church. My husband came from OLV. Many of the babies born to teen mothers in the Buffalo area were adopted out of there. And misbehaving children like me were always threatened with being shipped out to Father Baker's if they did not shape up.
Anyway, even if you are not a religious person it is a sight to see. Besides the gorgeous church, the grounds are beautifully landscaped.

2 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

It's a great place to be, inside a glass house, when it's cold outside, just ask my cat.

Nell

Remy said...

Lol! You are too funny, but that is so true!

Favorite Garden Blogs

Favorite Tomatoes

  • Humph - Green
  • Stump of the World - Pink, my absolute favorite
  • Little Lucky - Small Yellow Bicolor
  • Prudens Purple - meaty Pink
  • Carbon - Black

Followers

About Me

My photo
Plantaholic, from annuals to perennials, from tomatoes to roses. You name it; I love it! I often get very busy with my business and life and don't post as often as I would like.