~photoblog of a WNY zone 6 gardener
Friday, June 26, 2009
It Has Been Too Long!
Leucanthemum superbum 'Sonnenschein'(Shasta Daisy)
The weather has been almost too perfect here. Of course I am becoming paranoid and am waiting for a major catastrophe from Mother Nature or one of her evil doers(rabbits, etc.) So I've been working in the garden in all my spare time trying to enjoy what has been a lovely year so far.. I have been taking photos all along. I just haven't been up to working on posting. But this next flower just made me so happy, I need to show you all.
Annual Poppies!(Papaver somniferum)
If you haven't grown this annual yet, I strongly recommend it. The blooms are so big and frilly they don't look real. Yes, these are the opium type. No it is not against the law to grow them as some people often believe. Well, maybe huge farm fields of them is, because you need that much to be making any drugs. So we can all safely grow them and enjoy them.
Another plant that I really enjoyed seeing for the first time this year was this iris. The coloration is so pretty. It finished bloom a couple weeks ago.
Iris siberica 'Roaring Jelly'
Yucca 'Bright Edge' bloom
Jim, this next one's for you : )
Rose 'Belle Isis'
I'll leave this evening with Gary sitting under my rambler 'Leontine Gervais.
Favorite Garden Related Sites
- THE SAMPLE SEED SHOP
- Missouri PLANT ID Site - best wild plant ID site
- THE SEED SITE - great for IDing seeds
- ROB'S PLANTS
- PAGHAT'S GARDEN
- ROBIN'S SALVIAS - great photo galleries
- TOMATOVILLE - forums for tomato lovers
- SELECTED PLANTS- Tomato site with lots of great growing info
- Betsy Knapp Hypertufa - my friend who makes planters
- MY GardenWeb Page
- Cyndi Johnson's Catalog List - extensive garden catalog listings
Favorite Garden Blogs
Garden Nurseries and Centers in the WNY Area
- Adams Nurseries, Sheridan, Tonawanda, and Rt 33, Lancaster
- Earsings, Clinton, West Seneca
- Faery's Nursery, Ridge Rd., Ransomville
- Frank's Veggie Stand and Niagara Aquarium at Miltary and Woodward, Tonawanda
- Lavocat's Nursery, Heroy Rd., Clarence Center
- Lockwood's Greenhouses, Clark St., Hamburg
- Masterson's, Olean Rd., East Aurora
- Menne Nursery, N.F. Blvd., Amherst
- Mike Weber Greenhouses, French Rd, West Seneca
- Mischler's Florist(sells garden plants,) S. Forest, Williamsville e
- Russell's Tree & Shrub Farm, Transit, East Amherst
- Smith's Greenhouse, Wrights Corners
- Stedmann's Nursery, Rt. 78, Newfane
- Treichler's, Saunder Settlement, Sanborn
- Ulbrich's, Broadway, Alden
- Urban Roots, Rhode Island, Buffalo
- Zehrs on the Lake, Rt 18, Burt, NY