~photoblog of a WNY zone 6 gardener
Monday, June 8, 2009
Hawkeye Belle Surely Is A Belle
Already in full bloom June 7th
Dr. Griffith Buck, now deceased, was a professor at Iowa State who loved to breed roses. He worked toward breeding roses that are hardy, disease resistant, and beautiful. His roses are now known as Buck roses. His most famous rose is Carefree Beauty.
Someone once wrote on a forum that Buck roses weren't good looking. I remember thinking you've got to be kidding!
Don't tell me that is not gorgeous. Now some of Dr. Buck's choices for rose names have something to be desired, but who's perfect?
It is difficult to take a bad pic of Hawkeye Belle.
She is a vigorous growing shrub to 4 or 5'. In case you've not read in a previous post, I don't spray my roses, and she is very disease resistant for me. She blooms all summer, and her fall bloom will look as good as this early one. Her only fault is that her scent is mild. Is is there, but you've got to stick your nose right in the bloom. With blooms like hers though, I will forgive this fault.
Especially since I can't remember the last time I fertilized her. She may be a beauty, but she is one tough rose.
Many rose enthusiasts, like myself, will tell you once you grow a Buck rose, you will seek out more of them. They really are wonderful.
Favorite Garden Related Sites
- THE SAMPLE SEED SHOP
- Missouri PLANT ID Site - best wild plant ID site
- THE SEED SITE - great for IDing seeds
- ROB'S PLANTS
- PAGHAT'S GARDEN
- ROBIN'S SALVIAS - great photo galleries
- TOMATOVILLE - forums for tomato lovers
- SELECTED PLANTS- Tomato site with lots of great growing info
- Betsy Knapp Hypertufa - my friend who makes planters
- MY GardenWeb Page
- Cyndi Johnson's Catalog List - extensive garden catalog listings
Favorite Garden Blogs
Garden Nurseries and Centers in the WNY Area
- Adams Nurseries, Sheridan, Tonawanda, and Rt 33, Lancaster
- Earsings, Clinton, West Seneca
- Faery's Nursery, Ridge Rd., Ransomville
- Frank's Veggie Stand and Niagara Aquarium at Miltary and Woodward, Tonawanda
- Lavocat's Nursery, Heroy Rd., Clarence Center
- Lockwood's Greenhouses, Clark St., Hamburg
- Masterson's, Olean Rd., East Aurora
- Menne Nursery, N.F. Blvd., Amherst
- Mike Weber Greenhouses, French Rd, West Seneca
- Mischler's Florist(sells garden plants,) S. Forest, Williamsville e
- Russell's Tree & Shrub Farm, Transit, East Amherst
- Smith's Greenhouse, Wrights Corners
- Stedmann's Nursery, Rt. 78, Newfane
- Treichler's, Saunder Settlement, Sanborn
- Ulbrich's, Broadway, Alden
- Urban Roots, Rhode Island, Buffalo
- Zehrs on the Lake, Rt 18, Burt, NY