~photoblog of a WNY zone 6 gardener
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Dance of the Daffodils
High Society is like Pink Charm's more refined sister with the delicate pink rim. I do like her, but I guess I like to hang out with the wilder sibling. Speaking of wild looking, 'Van Sion' always looks like someone rolling out of bed after a night of partying.
I originally received these from a trader long ago on GardenWeb. In fact it was the first trade I ever did. A woman was offering green and yellow daffodils. I though, "Green?! I must get some of those!" They are odd and some might say ugly, but I adore them still.
A couple years ago in another GardenWeb trade, I received the following double which is all yellow, but there's color variation. I think it may be 'Butter and Eggs'. It also reminds me of a person rolling out of bed after a night of partying, but this one is that person you hate because for some reason they still look good.
The next one set me back a few bucks, but I wanted a pink-yellow combo daffodil so badly. The color variation is subtle, but I do like it. The daffodil is a good garden performer and has come back strong every year. That is the one worry about buying the more expensive culitvars~ Will they return for a second season?
Ok, one more for the night... This was the first "pink" daffodil I ever bought. Some of those old daffodils faded away, but she still comes back every year.
Don't worry the dance has just begun...
- ▼ April (4)
Favorite Garden Related Sites
- THE SAMPLE SEED SHOP
- Missouri PLANT ID Site - best wild plant ID site
- THE SEED SITE - great for IDing seeds
- ROB'S PLANTS
- PAGHAT'S GARDEN
- ROBIN'S SALVIAS - great photo galleries
- TOMATOVILLE - forums for tomato lovers
- SELECTED PLANTS- Tomato site with lots of great growing info
- Betsy Knapp Hypertufa - my friend who makes planters
- MY GardenWeb Page
- Cyndi Johnson's Catalog List - extensive garden catalog listings
Favorite Garden Blogs
Garden Nurseries and Centers in the WNY Area
- Adams Nurseries, Sheridan, Tonawanda, and Rt 33, Lancaster
- Earsings, Clinton, West Seneca
- Faery's Nursery, Ridge Rd., Ransomville
- Frank's Veggie Stand and Niagara Aquarium at Miltary and Woodward, Tonawanda
- Lavocat's Nursery, Heroy Rd., Clarence Center
- Lockwood's Greenhouses, Clark St., Hamburg
- Masterson's, Olean Rd., East Aurora
- Menne Nursery, N.F. Blvd., Amherst
- Mike Weber Greenhouses, French Rd, West Seneca
- Mischler's Florist(sells garden plants,) S. Forest, Williamsville e
- Russell's Tree & Shrub Farm, Transit, East Amherst
- Smith's Greenhouse, Wrights Corners
- Stedmann's Nursery, Rt. 78, Newfane
- Treichler's, Saunder Settlement, Sanborn
- Ulbrich's, Broadway, Alden
- Urban Roots, Rhode Island, Buffalo
- Zehrs on the Lake, Rt 18, Burt, NY