~photoblog of a WNY zone 6 gardener
Saturday, February 14, 2009
This is the rose that makes me sigh that sigh you make just look at something so incredibly beautiful . Fantin Latour was named after the still life painter, Henri Fantin-Latour. Maybe the person who named this rose thought it looked too perfect to be real like a painting?
I bought this rose after a pic I saw in a book. It called out to me. It is a centifolia hybrid so there was some question as to how hardy it would be and how large it would become. I read 5'x'5' for a more northern location. Well that was completely wrong. Fantin is a monster shrub! The winter here does it no harm.
I actually have a small shade garden beneath Fantin.
I still have trouble fathoming why people don't plant once bloomers more often. I have some re-bloomers, but I'll never look up to see a view like this.
Fantin becomes so full of blooms the stems can start to bend down toward the ground. It has a lovely scent as well. I don't fertilize this rose either. This is another I would be afraid to rose. There are not a lot of thorns on Fantin's canes. It can get black spot later in the season, but I've never had it become an eyesore.
- ▼ February (5)
Favorite Garden Related Sites
- THE SAMPLE SEED SHOP
- Missouri PLANT ID Site - best wild plant ID site
- THE SEED SITE - great for IDing seeds
- ROB'S PLANTS
- PAGHAT'S GARDEN
- ROBIN'S SALVIAS - great photo galleries
- TOMATOVILLE - forums for tomato lovers
- SELECTED PLANTS- Tomato site with lots of great growing info
- Betsy Knapp Hypertufa - my friend who makes planters
- MY GardenWeb Page
- Cyndi Johnson's Catalog List - extensive garden catalog listings
Favorite Garden Blogs
Garden Nurseries and Centers in the WNY Area
- Adams Nurseries, Sheridan, Tonawanda, and Rt 33, Lancaster
- Earsings, Clinton, West Seneca
- Faery's Nursery, Ridge Rd., Ransomville
- Frank's Veggie Stand and Niagara Aquarium at Miltary and Woodward, Tonawanda
- Lavocat's Nursery, Heroy Rd., Clarence Center
- Lockwood's Greenhouses, Clark St., Hamburg
- Masterson's, Olean Rd., East Aurora
- Menne Nursery, N.F. Blvd., Amherst
- Mike Weber Greenhouses, French Rd, West Seneca
- Mischler's Florist(sells garden plants,) S. Forest, Williamsville e
- Russell's Tree & Shrub Farm, Transit, East Amherst
- Smith's Greenhouse, Wrights Corners
- Stedmann's Nursery, Rt. 78, Newfane
- Treichler's, Saunder Settlement, Sanborn
- Ulbrich's, Broadway, Alden
- Urban Roots, Rhode Island, Buffalo
- Zehrs on the Lake, Rt 18, Burt, NY