~photoblog of a WNY zone 6 gardener
Monday, February 9, 2009
The Many Faces of Leontine Gervais
Leontine Gervais is a large rambling rose that loves to change the look and color of her blooms. Some years the flowers are very double like 2008 and other years they readily show their stamens.
Even in the same growing season the look of the blooms varies.
I'm not bothered by the changes, I love them.
Leontine grows in a wild octopus type fashion. She is thorny, and will grab you as you pass, but you can escape her grasp unlike the strong grip of LJS. The foliage is is a nice glossy green that stay beautiful until winter makes them drop. This rose is very disease resistant. I also have never fertilized it.
I've found the scent to be elusive. There a few roses like this for me. There have been a few good discussions on scent on the Antique Roses Forum on GW in the past, and it seems certain scents are hard for some noses to detect. I just know sometimes I smell Leontine and some times I don't. I've been with people that could smell him while I could not.
While in full bloom she is a quite a charmer. People always make comments on her that pass by the house. I've even been asked for cuttings.
As the blooms age they take on a pinker tone.
At that point usually a thunderstorm comes rolling through and all the beauty becomes a memory.
- ▼ February (5)
Favorite Garden Related Sites
- THE SAMPLE SEED SHOP
- Missouri PLANT ID Site - best wild plant ID site
- THE SEED SITE - great for IDing seeds
- ROB'S PLANTS
- PAGHAT'S GARDEN
- ROBIN'S SALVIAS - great photo galleries
- TOMATOVILLE - forums for tomato lovers
- SELECTED PLANTS- Tomato site with lots of great growing info
- Betsy Knapp Hypertufa - my friend who makes planters
- MY GardenWeb Page
- Cyndi Johnson's Catalog List - extensive garden catalog listings
Favorite Garden Blogs
Garden Nurseries and Centers in the WNY Area
- Adams Nurseries, Sheridan, Tonawanda, and Rt 33, Lancaster
- Earsings, Clinton, West Seneca
- Faery's Nursery, Ridge Rd., Ransomville
- Frank's Veggie Stand and Niagara Aquarium at Miltary and Woodward, Tonawanda
- Lavocat's Nursery, Heroy Rd., Clarence Center
- Lockwood's Greenhouses, Clark St., Hamburg
- Masterson's, Olean Rd., East Aurora
- Menne Nursery, N.F. Blvd., Amherst
- Mike Weber Greenhouses, French Rd, West Seneca
- Mischler's Florist(sells garden plants,) S. Forest, Williamsville e
- Russell's Tree & Shrub Farm, Transit, East Amherst
- Smith's Greenhouse, Wrights Corners
- Stedmann's Nursery, Rt. 78, Newfane
- Treichler's, Saunder Settlement, Sanborn
- Ulbrich's, Broadway, Alden
- Urban Roots, Rhode Island, Buffalo
- Zehrs on the Lake, Rt 18, Burt, NY